What I wouldn't give to take a remote controlled boat out on this canal!
Here I am, blending in with the locals. Too bad I don't speak Dutch...
We arrived in Brugges' Market Square. Brugges is one of Europe's most important landmarks as the city center has hardly changed since the Middle Ages. It was yet another beautiful site. It was getting to be late afternoon, so the setting sun added to the charming ambiance.
I know I keep saying this, but it is all the people milling about that makes these cities feel so alive. People were not rushing from one errand to another. They were out, just enjoying the day. Everyone was in a relaxed mood and you could feel that vibe. I guess I was taking too long to feel the vibe... my tour guide is leaving without me.
This feels very Holland-esque, does it not?
Since I will be in Holland in a week and a half, we will compare!
I was impressed that in honor of my visit to the venerable country of Belgium, an orchestra was arranged to play in the city square. It was almost like going to see the Owensboro City Orchestra on the 4th of July. So we found a spot to eat and sat back to enjoy the music.
Yes, yes, we were facing the BACK of the orchestra.
This is the Church of Our Lady. It dates back to medieval times. The brick spire - at 122m - makes it one of the world's highest brick towers/buildings. We were going to climb up, but just our luck, it closed about 30 minutes before we got there. I tried the door anyway to see if it was locked. I figured we could find our own way up. It was locked :( Don't they trust people anymore?
I was sad to leave Brugges, but it was getting cold and I was tired. Long day, but well worth it! Thank you Brugges!
1 comment:
Did they have wooden shoes in Brugges? Maybe we wait until Holland!
Everything is soo cool. I am so proud. And soo jealous.
B
Post a Comment