Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Hand throwing contest

One of the best things about mainland Europe is the public transportation system. You can go anywhere via train or bus. And if that doesn't quite get you there, you'd better start walking.

On Saturday we went to Antwerp and Brugges. Both cities were a short train ride away. I am becoming quite adept at sitting on trains. Of course, it is easier when someone else knows which line to get on and which stop is yours. Then there is the "trick stop" that some lines have. Apparently certain trains, on certain lines, will actually split at a certain stop. Part of the train cars will go to Madrid and the other part will go to Vienna (maybe I exaggerate a little). So it is imperative to make sure that you get on - not only the right train - but also the right car on the train!!! I think you have to be part of some secret society to know for sure...

Trains are also a great way to see more of the country. There are beautiful landscapes, amazing architecture and the occasional odd sighting. Hmmm, is it me, or is this train station weird? :)


We get to Antwerp first. This is one pretty cool train station. There are several levels with trains on each level.



We get to the station and the first stop was coffee for Ryan...already I am tiring him out! I get something to drink as well and perform the transaction in French. As we walk away, Ryan informs me people here speak Dutch, not French! Geez, we did not even change countries!

Ok - we all know I am a dork... I have proved that many times over. But when I saw this, I had to go over and touch it. It was fascinating. Ryan would not let me sit on it...party pooper. So I had to settle for standing under it. How cool is this?? It is made out of wood!



Antwerp has this amazing energy. There are so many people around. Everyone is walking with friends or family. There is this feeling of community. So many cultures, all blending together in one place. The feeling was electric! We came upon a square, were there were all sorts of activity. In the center of the square was this gazebo, with a bunch of funny looking men speaking in Dutch. The best part was the giant version of the funny looking men. I have no idea what was going on. They started to sing, and it was not good. But I had to laugh. What a sight!



Hey mom, Beth and Stacie - does this look familiar??


This next picture has an interesting story. In the city square, there is a statue of a Roman soldier throwing a hand....Legend has it that long ago the River Scheldt was in the hands of Antigoon, a giant who demanded heavy tolls from passing ships. The Roman soldier slayed the greedy giant by chopping off his big hand and throwing it into the river. Hence the name Hantwerpen or “hand throwing.” The ‘hand’ has become the unofficial symbol of Antwerp.



Steen Castle was once the center of the city Antwerp. Now located along the waterfront it is the National Maritime Museum. It served many purposes throughout the centuries. It was once even a jail but that dark era ended in 1823. In 1864 it opened its doors again as a museum of local history and archeology. I am not sure about the odd statue in front of the castle...but it makes me laugh just looking at it!





This section on Antwerp took longer then I expected. Too many pictures, I suppose. And I am not even posting half of them!! I guess you will have to wait until tomorrow to read about Brugges!


3 comments:

Leslie & Bryan said...

I figured Antwerp had something to do with ants, but boy was I wrong. Who'd a figured it was named after hands. Them crazy foreign people.

love B

Leslie & Bryan said...

The only thing weerde in that city is you

Leslie & Bryan said...

Hey, I remember the dolls too!