Monday, June 11, 2007

London redux

This past weekend, Mandy and I headed back down to London. There is so much to do and see there that you could spend a month there and not do the same thing twice.
We headed over to Covent Gardens - which is an outdoor market. Anything and everything is happening here. Street performers, food, shops, booths....even tattoos!


Here is one of the street performers. Apparently, he has been here doing this gig for years.... I honestly cannot tell you if I thought it was good or just plain scary..


I have mentioned that London is a culturally diverse city. We walked right into Malaysian week! We thought of Jolene (our classmate from Malaysia). So Jolene, we walked around and soaked up a bit of your culture. I must say that I was intrigued and I would like to go there someday.... Here are a few pics:

I think the clueless-looking woman - NOT part of Malaysia Week!


This is a very common site all over London. The government will not have them removed because the historical society won't allow it. They are still making a small profit, and I have seen people using them! Stacie & Bryan - show the kids...they may never see one in their lifetime!!


This may come as a disappointment to some of you - Piccadilly Circus is not really a circus! It is a square in London that looks like a small scale Times Square (New York). No tigers, lions, monkeys, horses.....just people. Bummer.

Went back to Buckingham Palace. A lot fewer people this time, but of course the changing of the guards was hours earlier... Here are Mandy and I in front of the gates.


This is the front of Buckingham Palace. They say when the queen is in residence, the flag is up. Not only is the flag up, but you can actually see her...look closely - she is on the top floor 7th window from the left. She is waving at the camera...


We were invited to Tony Blair's home, but we were getting tired and wanted to catch the last train back to Hemel. So, we got just a few shots of 10 Downing Street and headed toward home.


See the white building on the right? The building next to it (the green painted brick) is Tony's house.

Here is the Eye of London, across the Thames. We did not make it over there, and we did not feel like sitting on that thing for an hour...



I plan on going back down to London again this weekend. So I hope to have more stories.

Stay tuned and take care!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori.....

I've really enjoyed your commentary on your trip and travels. Between your comments and the pictures, I feel as if I am really there with you. I know you are having a great time, but we (Guy, Shelby and the rest of us) will be glad to have you back on American soil. Enjoy your last few days, and we'll look forward to hearing from you when you get home!

Love you,

Jill

Mom or Dad said...

Lori
Make sure you take time to go to Westminister Abbey. It is a fascinating place to visit. We look forward to seeing you & Guy in a week or two.
Love Dad