Brussels decided that if you can't beat the city hoppers, join 'em. They created "Mini Europe", a park where you can tour Europe in a few short hours. It reminded me of a mini-golf course, but without the golf clubs...and no golf balls or holes, and add in lots of miniatures of famous European landmarks. So...almost same.
We had a poorly organized book that sort of correlated with what we saw. Being the super patient person I am, I quickly ditched the book and just took pictures of what I thought was cool. But Euro-nerd Ryan read up on it and told me things about each stop.
I liked this one because it reminded me of dad and uncle Norm. Trains are always cool.
Not sure what this is...Ryan??
Looks like the real thing, huh? Once you get up close, it is pretty flimsy.
Leaving France.... taking a short chunnel ride on the Eurostar.... I think this chunnel is not to scale....
We end up in England! Parliament and Big Ben... I was amazed. What a neat job it would be to build these things....
My official dorky act for the day....
The weird looking thing in the background is the Atomium. It was built for the World's Fair in 1958. It represents an iron molecule.....and you can even go up in it!
Guy and I went to real Sacre Coeur....we never knew there was a "front" entrance.
Detailed replica of ruins, it looked so real. Except I towered over it and the water slide in the background detracted just slightly.
Little itty bitty Pope. I want to know if those doors open.
This was the funniest thing there...I am not sure which country/city this represents (I am sure it was somewhere in that book). The little silo would "burst" into flames. Then the sirens would sounds and those 2 fire boats pulled up. Water shot forth from the little water hoses that sprayed the entire pavement area and the surrounding hillside, but completely missed the actual flaming building. If you look, you can the the ship on the right spraying the air. Calibration needed on Fire boat 2!!!!
There, I have satisfied my European critics! I did all of the EU in 2 hours - a record!
That wraps up Belgium. It was a great weekend and I owe a debt of gratitude to my tour guide, host and friend. It really makes visiting a foreign country much easier when you have a local with you. I was once told to never say good bye to a country, because it would be sad to think that I would never see those places again. So I will say - I'll see you soon, Belgium!
7 comments:
From Guy & Shelby:
Hi babe. It sounds like you had a great time in Brussels with Ryan. The pictures are great! Its hard to believe there is just over 1 week left.
Shelby says "Hurry home mom! I want to show you where I played with the giant squirrel!"
Miss you & love you.
Lori--It sounds and looks like you visited a lot of neat historical places in Belgium. It is a fascinating country. I am glad you are having a opportunity to tour some of these places you have read about over the years. Too bad Guy is not with you to share some of these great places.
We made it back from the funeral on Wednesday about 4PM. Aunt Bev and the girls seem to be doing pretty well. After everyone leaves will be the toughest time for them.
See you soon.
Love Dad
Hey whiter-shade-of-white,
How you doin'?
I am sorry, you haven't heard from me, but you can relate to the stress I am experiencing right now - not being a numbers person and a foreigner ;-)!!!
I love your stories about Europe and I have never ever given any American a hard time about not spending enough time in Europe and just going from one city to the other. I am happy you made it across the pond :-)
You better make it to Germany and then I wanna see some pics....and no bad words about the inhabitants. All FABULOUS people there, you know what I am sayin'?!
OK enough of me being funny...
I would send you pics from my new hometown, but I guess you know what it looks like!
Can't wait to see you!
Take care and enjoy Europe!!!
Hugs, the darker-shade-of white
P.S.: I guess I posted the same somewhere else, I am new to this, so forgive me!
Hey - Animal Kingdom: you two try to stay in one piece. It feels good to be needed, but geez....
I'll be home soon! Miss you both and I love you!
Lori
Lori,
I think Guy left someone out...his new pet snake and Shelbers new best friend! Hurry home soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Michelle :)
Hey Sis,
Goin try to catch up on what you are doin. That little scale model thing is cool but still no hechce en Mexico!!
Love B
one more...
did you see the Pope mobile?
B
Post a Comment