YES, driving here is an interesting adventure! But the good news is, you do get somewhat accustomed to it. Besides the fact that you are on the other side of the car, the roads are narrower, there are no stoplights - only roundabouts, drivers will merge INTO you and road signs (if they exist) are cleverly hidden. The first driving experience does feel weird. You have to disregard many years of driving instincts and re-learn it.
Let's talk about some highlights, shall we??
First, let's talk about the cars.... here is our car. It is a Vauxhall something or other.
Here is me, in the driver's seat...
Then, there is the interior. Nice, except everything just looks all wrong.
Now, we move on to general driving. The roads here are narrow. I can't even exaggerate here, the picture speaks for itself.
Because the roads are so narrow, people have no choice but to park on the sidewalks. When there is not enough room on the sidewalk, cars will hang out into the street. It is the drivers job not to hit the parked cars, while also avoiding oncoming drivers.....
Here are a few pictures of cars suffering from "narrow road syndrome".
Yes, the 2nd picture is our car.
Highway driving is better, because all the lanes are going the same way. But still, it is weird to look up and see the car in front of you, with no one in what should be the drivers seat.
Let's talk about the roundabout.
The roundabout is very prevalent here, used instead of stoplights. You must be on the lookout for cars coming at you from basically everywhere. It is insane! Give me a good ol' stoplight. At least there is a definitive sign: GO or STOP.
The roundabout is very prevalent here, used instead of stoplights. You must be on the lookout for cars coming at you from basically everywhere. It is insane! Give me a good ol' stoplight. At least there is a definitive sign: GO or STOP.
Now, a "normal" roundabout looks and works like this:
This is the result of some road engineer having too much to drink and taking some grudge out on the public. There are only 2 or 3 that exist in the world, and lucky me, one is right here in the town of Hemel. Here is a depiction of the "Magic roundabout":
Here, there is one large roundabout surrounded by 6 smaller roundabouts. What???? Cars are literally going in all directions. Somehow, when we drove on this, we survived. We got off on the wrong exit, but we were alive :) We now avoid this intersection if at all possible.
So there you have it. This has really messed me up. I hope I do not go through this again when I get back in the states!!


10 comments:
From Guy -
Hi babe. I liked the animated round-a-bout. Very impressive blogging skills. I hope you weren't taking all those pictures while driving! Sounds like you guys are getting the hang of it though. Talk to you soon. Shelby says "Hi Mom!"
So I always thought (being from North of the river) that those who bleed blue could not drive...did KY-ian's migrate from London?
Wow, I am confused just looking at all of that. You've truly had a near death experience. So was the mirror damage a result of all the confusion?
And like Guy said, you're a GREAT blogger. I look forward to it every day!
Take good care and plese be careful driving. Isn't there a subway? :)
Michelle - there are trains that go around the country and you can take "the tube" once in London. But to get from our little town, it is pretty much the car....
We are being careful! Thanks for all your comments!
Also - I caught that kentucky comment! I know how to get even..... how about 2 candles????
:)
Did you bring any cnadles for good luck? Maybe you could have left some there for the next guest! Ha ha :)
Kristen wants to know who those people are in those cars? Are they your friends? She also she she could draw those circles just as well as you did. She's a good blogger too! (Bloggger, jogger, dogger, logger, whats the difference?)
Later
B
I'm not gonna have to come to London to fix your mirror like I use to have to go to Louisville to work on your cars am I?
Love
B
Hey whiter-shade-of-white,
How you doin'?
I am sorry, you haven't heard from me, but you can relate to the stress I am experiencing right now - not being a numbers person and a foreigner ;-)!!!
I love your stories about Europe and I have never ever given any American a hard time about not spending enough time in Europe and just going from one city to the other. I am happy you made it across the pond :-)
You better make it to Germany and then I wanna see some pics....and no bad words about the inhabitants. All FABULOUS people there, you know what I am sayin'?!
OK enough of me being funny...
I would send you pics from my new hometown, but I guess you know what it looks like!
Can't wait to see you!
Take care and enjoy Europe!!!
Hugs, the darker-shade-of white
Lori,
Hello, You sure look like you are having a great time and have been able to see and do many things. I have really enjoyed reading about all your adventures. Everyone here is doing great. I miss you, can't wait for you to get back so we can all hang out. Take care be safe. Melissa, Jim anc Sabrina say hello....:):)
Ellen
Hi Lori!
What an amzing experience for you thus far!! How wonderful to have had a friend and tour guide right there in Belguim! I love your pics and comments (It makes me feel apart of the action over there. And I am taking note of some great places we would like to see, some day, too).
Buddy says Hi! He and Shelby were reunited early last week when Greg and I returned home from Mexico. They've had several play moments and even included Mr. Bud. (Buddy does look for you!)
So glad you were able to get to Strafford-on-Avon. Hope you can get to Edinburgh!
Take Care and stay safe!
Jane and Buddy
Post a Comment