Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A few observations about the English people...

  • They are much friendlier than the french
  • The say "cheers!" in place of "thank you"
  • You "let a flat", not "rent an apartment"
  • When driving, they rarely honk or flip the bird
  • Motorcycles are allowed to drive between cars, scaring you to death!
  • A trunk is a "boot"
  • A truck is a "lorry"...no jokes!
  • A cell phone is a mobile (pronounced mow-bile)
  • If something tastes good, it is "lovely"
  • Their showers have no shower curtains nor shower doors - there is just a partial glass shield
  • They have MUCH more vacation than we do in the states (something like 5 - 6 weeks is standard!)
  • They like to take holiday (vacation) in Florida (who knows??)
  • They know how expensive everything is....for example it costs $8 to rent a movie -or- put 1 gallon of gas in your car!!! Yikes!

______________________________________

Here are a few pictures from our touristy adventures in London!




This is the marching band that precedes the rest of the millions of other soldiers, some on foot and some on horseback. This band was very good and it was cool to see them so close.

This is a big park just south of Buckingham Palace. Of course we used this as a photo op.





I think someone important was in this coach..but we were across the park when we heard them coming. So here go 2 Americans, camera in hands running across the park, trying to get to the street. We got there, but not in time to see who was in the coach...although I am not sure I would have been able to recognize them.






But she must be important....look at all the guards on horseback!!


More photos to come! Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Tower Bridge.....
ps - Thanks for all the comments. I like to read what you all have to say, especially you, Dad!

5 comments:

Jolene Wee said...

Cool blogs. I know it is not easy to keep it up cuz I spend a lot of time on mine too. Loving the pics. See ya in Amsterdam soon.

Anonymous said...

From Guy & Shelby -

Hi babe! We are still here in Nashville. Shelby wanted to say hello though. We are enjoying your blog. Keep up the good work! We miss you and will talk with you soon.

Anonymous said...

Ooo...I love the London pics! Ya know, I've worked with people who say cheers, etc. How fun? No wonder Madonna took on an English accent. Will Lori...

Have a great weekend!

Leslie & Bryan said...

Did you take your red coat? Cause if you did you could probably buy one of those fuzzy tall black hats get a horse and ride up next to all of those famous people. that would be cool!
love
b

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.