Guy left on Saturday, despite my begging and clinging to his legs as his train approached. He made it safely back to Cincy and now he is back to work..... It is weird knowing that I will not see him for 4 weeks! It will be rough, I will need your support to keep me from getting homesick!
Mandy and I spent the rest of the weekend getting acclimated with the town and the surrounding area. There are a lot of walking paths with many families out and about. Also, lots of people walking dogs! It is fun to visit with everyone, they are all so friendly and love to hear us talk. That is a switch!!
We reported for work bright and early Monday morning at Polaroid's headquarters. OK - so bright and early was 9:15 am because we got lost a few times and there was a ton of construction...but we really did try to get there early.....
We were welcomed by their entire staff....all 8 of them. We have our own desks and Internet connections. The bad news - the office is in a small town. The town of Luton (which is about 20 miles North of London) was voted the #1 "Crap town" in the UK. Yeah! We asked the locals why and they said there was no soul there. It is all new construction, no green space, no arts, no sports, no life. Also, there are NO restaurants around here. No cafeterias either. On our first day, one of our co-workers took us to lunch. Guess where?? She took us to the local grocery store so we could pick out our own food! And then we went through the check out line to pay for it. That was by far the most unique 1st day of work lunch I have ever had!
The people in our office are great. They are fun and really nice. They have outlined our project and it looks to be tough, but we feel pretty confident we can meet their expectations! We have 4 weeks to accomplish what it would take a "real" consultant 6 months to do. But we are SUPER MBA's!!!!
I still have some pics from our trip into London. So I will scatter them over the next several posts....
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Lori, get jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread and you will be set for several lunches. I am glad the people you work with are already friendly, so you won't have to waste your time winning them over. Either way you would have all of them won over to your friendly nature by the time you leave next month.
By the way, if you look around, you will see several London bridges!!! Ha Ha.
Love, Dad
Grilled cheese and PB & J anyone...anyone...Buehler...ha ha. WOW! That's crazy. I am glad eveyone was so nice since they couldn't express welcoming you with food! I guess we Americans surround too many social meetings around food. Wow, no cafeteria...that's amazing. I thought, as I was reading the story, you were going to AT LEAST say McDonalds. Who doesn't have that? Ha ha
I'm glad to know the locals also enjoy hearing your English brogue...now you can tell Shawn your southern draw is working to your advantage. :)
Good Luck on your project. I am confident you will do well...It's not like your over-achieving or competitive or anything ;)
Hey, how is the weather there. It looked colder in your pics b/c you have jackets, etc on.
Oh, and we'll take good care of Guy here in OH/KY!
Till next time...
Michelle :)
Hey Lori,
I've really enjoyed your blog, so keep writing! I'm really glad things are going well. Can't wait to hear more when you get back home in a few weeks. Miss you lots and see you soon!
Post a Comment